Thursday, April 24, 2008

10 weeks!

I'm officially 10 weeks pregnant tomorrow. I'm getting closer and closer to the end of the first trimester. I'm feeling great, the nausea has passed and I'm starting to get my energy back. I didn't need a 2 hour nap last weekend so that was an improvement in itself. This week, I've been in South Carolina for work and will be flying home today. I'm excited to get home and to sleep in my own bed.

This week our baby is the size of a small plum – a little over an inch or so long and weighs less than a half an ounce. This week marks the baby's last week as an embryo; next week he/she will officially become a fetus. The baby is now starting to kick and swallow, though I won't feel the kicks for quite some time. The kidneys, intestines, brain and liver are now starting to function. His/her tiny nails are forming and hair is beginning to grow on the skin. Tooth buds for baby teeth will begin forming inside the mouth, reproductive organs and external genitals will be formed, although it will still be too early to determine the gender. Taste buds will begin to appear on the surface of the tiny tongue, eyelids are almost closed over the tiny eyes, which have already developed some color, the upper lip will form completely, and most of the joints will form (elbow, wrists, knee, shoulder and ankle). In the coming weeks the baby will double in size. I'm now officially wearing some maternity clothes! I must say they are very comfy.

No comments: