Thursday, October 02, 2008

Our weekend at the hospital...

Last Saturday, Mike and I spent the day at Prepared Childbirth class at South Shore Hospital. It was a long day of class and we got a tour of labor & delivery. The highlight of the day was stopping by the nursery to see the newborn babies. We were pretty tired out by the time we got home so I decided to lay down for a few hours. I noticed I was having some cramping so I laid on my left side and drank some water. Just a few hours ago, I had learned that cramping was a sign of preterm labor so that was on my mind. For the next few hours, the cramping did not go away and I became more and more concerned. We went to bed and decided if it had not eased up by morning, I would call my doctor.

On Sunday morning, I felt the same so I decided to give my doctor a call. She instructed me to go to the hospital just so I could get checked out. They hooked me up to the monitors and sure enough I was having mild contractions every 3-4 minutes. We were not prepared for this and I began to worry. She did an exam and some tests and it was determined that I was NOT in labor. Thank God. Instead, it showed that I had a urinary tract infection and that was aggraviting the uterus and why the contrations had begun. She prescribed an antibiotic and we were released after a few hours.

My doctor also discussed with me that I am at risk for delivery early because of a previous uterine surgery. Sometimes there is scar tissue remaining so as the baby and uterus grows, it gets very crowded in there and most times, the baby decides to come early. I asked her in the cases she has seen, how early did the women go and she said around 36 weeks. I nearly fell off the bed, because that's only 3 weeks away. We're hoping and praying that Liam stays in there for at least another 4 weeks so he will be full term. She would rather us be prepared though so I've started packing my hospital bag just in case. I had another appointment yesterday and everything looks great. He is still in the breech position and right now he weighs approximately 4.5 lbs. We'll be sure to keep everyone posted!

No comments: